Glycolic Acid / Lactic Acid peels are manufactured to ensure purity and consistency. They also occur naturally. They were discovered to have a positive effect on the skin by Dr Eugene Van Scott in the 1970’s. They work by decreasing the electronegativity between the cells of the surface layers (corneodesmosomes). Peels create a reaction within the skin stimulating collagen production.
Lactic acid peels have a smaller molecular structure and create moisture within the skin as well as removing pigmentation and resurfacing the skin. Glycolic acid peels are used to treat mild sun damage, pigmentation and loss of elasticity. Peels are best performed as a series of 3 – 6 weekly peels initially. Once the desired outcome is achieved a maintenance programme will be advised for your skin by the Dermal Therapist.
Action of glycolic/lactic acid peels:
- Speeds up cell turnover
- Stimulates collagen and ground substance resulting in increased luminosity and more moisture retention
- Reduction in pigmentation and age spots
- Improves acne and pore size
- Reduction in fine lines
- Glowing more youthful looking skin.
Other benefits of glycolic/AHA peels:
- Speeds up healing of skin pre and post cosmetic facial surgery (in consultation with your surgeon)
- The activation of the skins natural healing response is beneficial and helps reduce scarring and healing time. Peels can enhance your final appearance as an adjunct to your surgery by:
- Reducing pigmentation, increasing collagen, elastin and ground substance in the skin, increasing hyaluron (which draws water to your skin) increasing luminosity and decreasing pigmentation
- Peels are commenced well in advance of your surgery and a course of peels is completed two weeks prior the proposed surgery
- Peels can be recommenced following the advice of your surgeon post operatively to activate the skins healing responses and minimising scarring
- Suitable for men and women
- All skin types showing signs of acne